Bon Portage Island lighthouse
|Record #: MDS0119||Last Modified: 08 Jun 2020||Last Full Update: 08 Jun 2020|
|Located In||Shag Harbour|
|Where To Find Us||
Bon Portage Island, NS
|Areas Served||Shelburne County|
|Contact||Misty James, Recreation Director; Email: email@example.com|
|Alternate Contact||Joel d'Entremont, Physical Activity Coordinator; Email: firstname.lastname@example.org|
|Mailing Address||c/o Barrington Municipal Recreation
PO Box 100
27 Park Lane
Barrington, NS B0T 1E0
|Description & Services|
The Bon Portage Island lighthouse was established in 1874. For 110 years, 16 principal lightkeepers and their families kept the light burning on this small, windswept island.
The longest serving keeper was Morrill Richardson, who along with his wife Evelyn, bought the island (except for the lighthouse property) in 1929.
In 1945, Evelyn Richardson’s classic book We Keep A Light was published and quickly became a best-seller in Canada. She described her family’s life on the island with sensitivity and humour, noting both the disadvantages and joys of life on an isolated island.
Bon Portage Lighthouse was replaced in 1964 by the current building.
Accessible only by boat.
|Tags||Recreation Categories ; South Shore Connect ; Visual Arts|