Clark's Harbour Monuments

Location
Located Within Clark's Harbour (town of)
Where To Find Us
Clark's Harbour, NS
Areas Served Clark's Harbour (town of)
Contact
Website www.clarksharbour.com/sights.html
E-Mail clerk@clarksharbour.com
Phone 902-745-2390
Description & Services
Information
 
 
The Lion monument is location in the center of town and carries history that goes back many years. 
 
This monument was scheduled to stand guard in front of an old house in 1906. Its creator was a sixteen year old boy named John Wilmot Nickerson who produced it out of cement and clay.  
 
 
 
John's uncle, J. Lendall Nickerson, owned the Sea View Hotel next door. Using his uncles dog as a model, John also made two statues which were placed on each side of the hotel's entrance. Unfortunately, the weather took its toll and the dogs were removed.  
 
John was an exceptional artists and need to leave the sheltered island so his true talent could be admired by the world. He ended up moving to Fresno, California to pursue his dreams. There, he received the recognition he deserved and opened his own shop in Glendale, California. He became a leading sculptor and was known for his last creation, a complete sculpture of The Last Supper. 
 
 
 
The Soldier's Monument 
In 1921, the Town of Clark's Harbour decided to create a monument to honor the boys of the 219 Regiment who were lost in World War I. The unveiling took place on November 11, 1922, in front of the well-known Stone Church. This monument was created out of granite. Three pieces make up the base and a fourth piece is where the inscriptions were carved. A seven-foot, bronze soldier stands tall above these slabs, in uniform, wearing a rifle, and standing at ease. 
 
This monument still stands in front of the church for everyone to look at and remember our loved ones who risked their lives for our freedom.
Special Information
Tags Recreation Categories ; South Shore Connect ; Visual Arts